Mike is President of M.A. Nurse & Associates Inc, a Toronto-based management consulting company providing a wide range of services to the life insurance industry. He’s a Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) and a Fellow (LLIF) with the LIMRA Leadership Institute (Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania).
Over 30 years’ experience in the Canadian life insurance industry
Mike has a deep understanding of our industry, having come up through the field and head office ranks of mutual life companies (North American Life and Toronto Mutual Life). In a senior management capacity, he has been heavily involved with strategy formulation, distribution channel & sales planning, and operations.
Mike has a passion for activities related to developing traditional and non-traditional top-line revenue: lines of business, distribution channel, product development and sales planning/training.
- Lines of Business: Individual life and Health; Affinity & Creditor Group, Preneed, Voluntary/Worksite Benefits
- Distribution Channels: Career Agency, Personal Producing General Agency (PPGA), Managing General Agency (MGA), Preneed (via Funeral Homes), Consumer Direct, and Voluntary/Worksite Benefits
- Product Development: Individual Life & Health (participating & non-participating, adjustable premium whole life, term, short term disability), Annuities, Preneed Life, AD&D, Supplemental Life, Hospital Indemnity, and Specific Loss
- Sales Planning: Career agent, brokerage and preneed distribution channels
- Sales Management Training: Head office and field office
- Sales Training: Field intermediaries and call centre personnel
- Mentoring: Head office and field personnel
- Market intelligence: Understanding the competitive landscape
- Budgeting: Developing new or assessing current budgets
View our Integrated Model here.
A leader in innovation and transformational change
Mike pioneered both the development of Canada’s first virtual life insurance company (Unity Life of Canada), and Canada’s first business process outsourcing company serving the individual life and affinity/creditor group marketplaces (GeniSystems.ca Services – aka GeniSys).
As Senior Vice President of Marketing, Business Development and Sales for GeniSys, Mike was responsible for direct-writer and reinsurer customer acquisition for Canada and the U.S. This involved and open and closed-book engagements involving such prominent clients as Munich Re., ManuLife, Wilton Re., Gerber Life, CIBC Life, and Unity Life of Canada.
As President of Funeral Plans Canada Mike was responsible for:
- Operations: Providing end-to-end, preneed administration services on behalf of Unity Life of Canada and BMO Life
- Marketing & Sales: Driving top-line revenue through the implementation of funeral home-to-consumer programs
- All administration, marketing and sales staff
- Changing the company culture to one emphasizing teamwork and personal accountability
Mike’s affiliations include
- LIMRA (including serving on the Brokerage Committee)
- The International Association of Outsourcing Professionals (IAOP)
- The Outsourcing Institute
- The Centre for Outsourcing Research and Education (CORE)
Mike graduated from Queen’s University with a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Sociology and a minor in Psychology. He has also completed The Centre for Outsourcing Research and Education’s “Essentials of Outsourcing Program” at the Joseph Rotman School of Management (University of Toronto), and the American Management Association’s “Management Strategies & Corporate Planning”.
Mike is an avid fishermen, a reader of World Wars 1 & 2 military history and a 5th Dan black belt instructor in Taekwondo.